Threat Level: green Handler on Duty: Guy Bruneau

SANS ISC: Suggestions needed with industrial networking - SANS Internet Storm Center SANS ISC InfoSec Forums

Suggestions needed with industrial networking
Hello,

I was wondering about subnetting in TIA Portal and the mechanics behind Profinet communication.

With regular TCP/IP communication, you can configure different subnets to break down large networks into smaller components. The networks each have their own subnet, and if you want to talk across subnets you need to use a router.

With Profinet, I'm wondering is that how it also works? For example, if you set up PLC A as subnet PN/IE_1 and then PLC B as PN/IE_2, what is the best method to set up communication between these two devices on different subnets? Does it need to go through a router? Or must you always have a PN/PN coupler?
I went through many resources and also checked < ahref="https://blog.advids.co/20-industrial-networking-system-and-solution-video-marketing-examples/">Industrial Networking Video</a> for solution ,but did not find any. It would be great if you can help me out with this.

Any help will be apprciated.
Thank you.
Anonymous